Sunday, July 12, 2009

California is loosing its collective mind

I see that California lawmakers, strangled by the greed of the voting public, are continuing to cut services in their attempt to resolve the budget. This is not really a legislative problem. The people in the state who are not willing to pay for the services provided by the state have hobbled the legislature with an impossible situation. Sure, we all want to keep as much of our own money as we can. If I had any money coming in I would want to keep it as much as anybody. When I did have some income I never complained about the taxes I paid but I certainly complain about the quality and level of services I get for the money. The people who most need the services are the people least likely to vote. This means responsible people who vote must not forget the people who desperately need state services. Cutting services to balance a budget mostly hurts people who neither vote nor have any other resource to fall back on. If people are too greedy about their own money to pay for the services they are not likely to provide charities with enough money to ensure effectiveness.

There is only one way to do this effectively. Raise taxes on those who can afford it. Make the tax temporary based on some measure of economic growth or resource surplus. People who become desperate also become unpredictable and even violent. Think people. Plan ahead. Be people instead of greedy despots.

Ok, I apologize for getting carried away but I hope I can make you think. (AND To the Tennessee legislature: you're not much better.) No one is saying "we need to help people" every one is saying "I pay too much tax already".

DRP

No comments: