Tuesday, July 21, 2009

California snubs the people rather than raise taxes.

California's ongoing budget problem has reached a settlement. According to national TV news the solution is massive cuts in government services. I cannot disagree with the proposal to sell oil drilling rights or the idea of selling Arnold-signed products to add money to the coffers. Cutting services such as health care, welfare, police, or fire is unconscionable. This puts the lives and welfare of many people second to raw greed. There is no argument against raising taxes that cannot be boiled down to basic greed. Refusing to pay for vital services just to keep a few hundred dollars in ones account is nothing else but raw greed. One of my earlier posts mentioned letting people die rather than pay a couple percent more in taxes. How much is a life worth? Are all of you so self-centered as to ignore the real impact of your decision on people's lives? All my life I have existed at or just below the level of basic comfortable living. Even at this income level I never truly felt bad about paying my fair share of taxes. I understand the need to pay for government services - especially services for less fortunate. Any other approach is just greed.

drp

No comments: